27 May Amazing nuggets about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry
The 2018 Royal wedding has come and gone. However, in the fortnight before the actual D-day, I had begun to wonder whether the wedding would happen, what with the different scandals that erupted around Meghan’s family members, not the least of which was the interview granted by her step- brother, Thomas Markle Jr, telling Harry to call off the wedding.
Here are 20 interesting and/or controversial facts about Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, the new Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
- She was born Rachael Meghan Markle.
- He was born Henry Charles Albert David.
- She is African-American – the African touch from her mother, Doria Ragland – and the American touch from her father Thomas Markle.
- He is British Royal and second son of Prince Charles and Princess Diana of Wales. Of course, he’s grandson to Her Majesty the Queen (Elizabeth 11) of England.
- She attended a private primary school in Hollywood, then a girls’ Roman Catholic College, after which, in 2003, she graduated from North Western University of Communication in 2003.
- He, in turn, attended Wetherby School, Ludgrove School, Eton College (1998-2003), and was at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst from 2005-2006.
- She’s 36, having been born August 4, 1981.
- Prince Harry, on the other hand, is 33, born September 15, 1984.
- Meghan has been married before.
- Harry, though never married, has had quite a lot of girlfriends.
- She started campaigning for gender equality at 11 when she wrote the then First Lady Hillary Clinton complaining about an advert strapline which said, “Women all over America are fighting greasy pots and pans.” See more on this
- Prince Harry, on his own part, is passionate about the welfare of servicemen and ex-servicemen, especially those who are sick, wounded or injured.
- She recently gave an interview saying women should be empowered to use their voice and people encouraged to listen, in contrast to the idea that women should be helped to find their voice – see more on this. Harry, on the other hand, is into a mentoring program that steers the youth away from youth violence and street gangs. He also started an anti HIV/AIDS program in South Africa.
- Meghan was a child rights campaigner for better education, food and health care (clean water).
- Prince Harry regularly supports children from disadvantaged homes to build their skills and confidence.
- A former actress, Meghan once indicated she might be interested in politics, specifically in being the President of the United States (USA) someday.
- Prince Harry, however, worked with the Armed Forces for more than a decade, ending operational duties in 2015, and on his exit, indicated his intention to live his own life rather than the strict regimented traditional royal British life.
- Prince Harry was very unhappy about his Mum’s death in 1997, when he was only 12. The episode affected him negatively for many years, triggering a few radical and deviant behaviours for which he always apologized and was forgiven.
- Doria divorced Thomas Markle, Meghan’s Father when she was 6. Meghan divorced Trevor Engelsohn, her first husband, after two years of marriage (2011-2013).
- In 2014, Meghan started a blog, The Tig, where she wrote on food, beauty, fashion, and travel, as well as her own story, garnering 1.9million Instagram followers and 350,000 Twitter followers.
21. Harry reportedly had a secret Facebook account for about 4 years under the pseudonym Spike Wells, which he has since shut down.
There you have it!
In many ways, then, Harry and Meghan have some things in common, while being opposite in other aspects. But their mutual non-conformist natures could not be hidden in the run off to the royal wedding.
Do you agree that Harry looks older and more mature than Meghan, despite being three years younger? Let’s know in the comments section below!